The building of a roadway is very complicated and involves various stages of construction. Excavation and embankment are among the most important stages of roadway construction as these processes are the foundation of quality pavements. The goal of excavation and embankment is to level out the area we are going to build the road on and to make sure the area drains properly.
This course provides you with the information to be able to inspect the Embankment process for roadway construction. Once you have finished this course, you will understand the duties of an inspector, inspecting these items of work. You will understand the contractor’s process and equipment used, learn proper placement and construction procedures and you will know why it is important to get this phase of construction right. The student will be able to identify basic material properties and how these material properties will affect construction and performance. For instance, working with a very wet clay-like material is different than working with a more sandy-type material. The student will be able to identify proper material delivery, stockpiling, and handling methods. The student will be able to describe the proper placement and compacting techniques, and what must happen in order for the subgrade to be accepted. Finally, you will learn to document and pay for this item of work.
Although Excavation and Embankment are two separate bid items, they are closely linked to one another. We highly recommend taking these two courses to have a better understanding of the whole process.
- Identify requirements for embankment, all types of embankment material, and the construction process.
- Summarize tests related to building embankments and subgrade.
- Perform sampling.
- Explain proper placement and construction procedures for earth/rock embankment.
- Determine contractor compliance.
- Determine the need for reworking, re-compaction, and refinishing.
- Outline grade and alignment staking process.
- Calculate quantities for every unit of measure and calculate payment to the contractor.
- Self-Paced, Online, On-Demand 20-hour Course.
- Easy to navigate using our Learning Management System.
- Learning Management System Login.
- The course is broken into video presentations lasting 5 -20 minutes.
- Quizzes ending every class module/Final Exam.
- Certificate of Completion that qualifies you to get an inspector level I Certificate.
- Reference Library.
- Downloadable Inspector Aides.
- Online VRX Institute support.
- Stop, start, rewind, retake classes.
Click below to see an example of the course content.
Course Fee: $475
Duration: 11 hours
More than 45 video modules
Certificate of Completion
Click here to see Payment Options and Refund Policy
Questions about the course may be sent to:
2500 N. Dallas Pkwy.
Plano, TX 75093