Compaction is one of the most important steps of building Hot Mix Asphalt (HMA) roadways affecting their long-term performance. Successful compaction increases the ride quality, safety of the roadway, and the roadway service life. Compaction is the process of densifying and reducing air voids in the HMA using mechanical forces, such as pressure, impact, and vibration. Such forces are applied on the road surface by utilizing different types of rollers. Although compaction seems a straightforward or a casual action, we should keep in mind that there are many subtle and crucial factors that affect the quality of the compaction process. To have a high-quality road, it is necessary to identify these factors and know how to consider those.
This course introduces you to the concept of compacting HMA. It will cover the whole compaction process and familiarize you with the equipment used along the way. You will also learn about the important factors affecting the compaction of HMA, such as rolling patterns and environmental factors. We will go over all the tests you may use to make sure compaction is done properly. And finally, you will be provided with some lessons learned from real-world projects that give you a better insight on how to perform a successful HMA compaction.
- Introduced with the concept of compacting hot mix asphalt, and the reasons we do that.
- Understand the contractor’s process and equipment used during the compaction of hot-mix asphalt.
- Understand the factors affecting the quality of HMA compaction.
- Learn about the tests to perform in order to determine the level of compaction.
- Learn how to troubleshoot density control.
- Learn about lessons learned from real-world projects on how to achieve a high-quality HMA compaction.
- More than 4 hours of self-paced, online, on-demand course.
- Access to an Easy navigation Learning Management System.
- Course is broken into video presentations lasting 5 -20 minutes.
- Quizzes ending every class module/Final Exam.
- Certificate of Completion.
- Reference Library.
- Downloadable checklists and supportive documents.
- Online VRX Institute support.
- Stop, start, rewind, retake classes.
Click below to see an example of the course content.
Course Fee: $300
Duration: more than 4 hours
More than 12 video modules
Certificate of Completion
Click here to see Payment Options and Refund Policy
Questions about the course may be sent to:
2500 N. Dallas Pkwy.
Plano, TX 75093